Family of Services
For nearly 40 years, Hospice of the Red River Valley has provided exceptional, person-centered medical care and grief support for our communities. Now with an expanded family of services, including Red River Valley Palliative Care and House Calls, we can help you live well through more of life’s transitions.
Hospice of the Red River Valley provides intensive comfort care for those with a life-limiting, serious illness who have chosen to stop curative treatments. Hospice relieves pain and symptoms while attending to an individual’s physical, personal, emotional and spiritual needs.
- is provided when an individual has a life expectancy of six months or less.
- is intensive comfort care, rather than curative care; individuals choose to focus on quality of life and forgo curative treatments.
- provides the medications for the terminal diagnosis and related conditions, equipment and supplies.
- includes 24/7 access via phone to a team of health care professionals, including the hospice physician, nurse practitioner and registered nurse to address an individuals’ medical needs; certified nursing assistant to provide the patient with personal cares like bathing, dressing and grooming; social workers and chaplains to offer emotional and spiritual support; and bereavement specialist who support family members and loved ones for 13 months after a death.
- offers volunteer support to patients for companionship by playing cards, reading a newspaper, having coffee, taking walks, giving wheelchair rides or whatever the patient find most comforting.
Red River Valley Palliative Care offers specialized, medical care in your home for people of any age, at any stage of a serious illness. Your symptoms are managed by a team of medical experts who anticipate, reduce and manage your physical, emotional, social and spiritual suffering while you receive curative treatments.
- can be provided earlier in the disease process than hospice and does not require a six-month prognosis; may benefit patients at any age and/or stage of their chronic illness.
- can be utilized alongside curative care and therapies.
- includes consultations with the palliative care nurse practitioner for concurrent medical management focused on symptoms.
- includes 24/7 access via phone to a team of health care professionals, including a physician, nurse practitioner and registered nurse to address an individuals’ medical needs.
House Calls offers preventive and specialty care in the comfort of home for people who have difficulty leaving their homes for clinic appointments. Our in-home program means no more going back and forth to the clinic or arranging for transportation for routine check-ups and other needs. We’re bringing the care to our patients, where it belongs.
As a general guideline, you may be eligible for House Calls if any of the following apply to you or your loved one:
- Difficulty leaving home or need special transportation
- Require someone to accompany you to appointments
- Outings away from home require multiple days to recover
- Use oxygen
- Team includes local physicians, nurse practitioners and nurses who travel each day from one patient’s residence to the next for those who have difficulty leaving their homes for clinic appointments.
- Offers many of the services you receive in a clinic office can be done in your home, such as physical examinations, annual wellness visits, geriatric assessments, medication prescription and management, chronic disease evaluation and management, and more.